*This post contains affiliate links which means that if you make a purchase through my link I earn a small commission at not additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure here.
Creating a blog is a lot of fun… from the planning stages to deciding on a theme, to the post creation and everything else that goes with it, it can be a lot of work but as you well know when you have a blog – it’s so worth it.
If you are looking to build your following and increase your goal of monetizing your blog, you will need to increase your traffic and while there are a slew of ways to do this, one of the most effective ways is to have people sign up for your mailing list. Having an email subscriber list is one of the best ways to skyrocket your blog. And isn’t that what it’s all about? Don’t we all want more readers and possibly more customers?
I think that many bloggers overlook the power of email because let’s face it, it’s been around for a loooong time now and it’s not as stimulating or fun as the many platforms of social media that are out there.
But the advantage of email is that it’s delivered to your subscriber’s inbox where it can have their undivided attention. And know what? Social media companies know that email lists work because it’s the first thing they get you to do is sign up with your email list. And if you look in your own inbox right now, you well know that you get lots of emails from them on a regular basis… whether it’s informing you of new products, a new software launch, a how-to guide, or some other form of information. They know it works.
The Benefits of Using an Email List
If you visit a blog, and decide to sign up for their email list, you do it because you what you’ve read and want to be sure you know about future posts or you want to be sure you hear more from that person, right? Same goes for your site when others visit it.
Know why email marketing is so effective? It’s simply because it’s so personal. It’s from you, to them. Unlike social media that is just out there for anyone to see, email is addressed to the individual person and this helps to build relationships between you and your readers. As the trust builds, that audience is more likely to buy your product.
Email can be used to promote your services, your products, new posts, upcoming promotions, or any number of things that appeal to your audience. After all, if you are spending your precious time writing good content, doesn’t it make sense that your readers see it? Absolutely!
How to Build an Email List
There a plenty of tools designed to help you build and manage your email list. Some of the most popular ones are:
Mailchimp – I love that it’s FREE for your first 2,000 email subscribers. This is a great option for anyone just starting out with a blog who maybe doesn’t have the income just yet to offset the costs of the other email list providers.
If you are a firm believer that you need to spend money in order to make money, you might want to opt for some other providers like:
ConvertKit – pricing is based on the number of email subscribers you have on your list.
Constant Contact – possibly the most expensive plan I’ve seen but does offer a lot of bang for your buck.
Now all this being said, you may already know of another email list provider that works well, and that’s totally fine. These are just three examples of the most common ones.
No matter the one you do decide you use, the important aspect is building the list itself by getting people to sign up for it.
Tip #1: Make sure your sign-up form is on your blog in a place where people can easily see it. If people have to search for it, you may as well not have one. It has to be in front of them.
A good option for this may be to have a pop-up on your website that appears after a few seconds that someone is on your website. It’s a great way to alert readers that they can sign up for your list and stay on top of future posts/promotions/or whatever you’d like to send them in your emails.
Tip #2: As you likely notice from other blogs, the easiest way to get people to sign up is to offer your readers some sort of exclusive content… a freebie of some sort… maybe a workbook, an e-book, free digital products or some other incentive that they receive for signing up to your list. I’m a sucker for free content and will sign up for just about any list if I get something in return.
And there you have it, the reasons why your blog should absolutely, without a doubt, have an email list subscription option where readers can sign up. It’s so important to stay forefront of your reader’s minds if you want to grow your blog.
Remember too, that no matter which email list tool you use, it has to work for your blog and your budget. Do what’s best for you.
Have any tips you’d like to share? Let me know below, I’d love to hear them!
- I absolutely love the all new PicMonkey with so many templates and features so I can create all the trendy items I need. I use it for so many of the design elements of my blog and business. From designing social media posts like Pinterest pins and Instagram worthy items, to creating beautiful blog images, PicMonkey has it all. The best part – you can try it out for 7 days absolutely FREE!
- Using Tailwind has been a game changer for my blog. Using it has allowed my blog to grow by leaps and bounds and acquire more followers and frees up precious time because I can schedule my posts like a pro (even though I’m still a newbie) and still have time to get more of what I need to get done accomplished.
- Looking for awesome graphics to use in your projects? I love The Hungry JPEG for endless high quality graphic and font bundles. You can download amazing bundles for a fraction of their retail cost. Plus they have weekly freebies, $1 font specials, and even free fonts. They are by far my fave place to go when on the hunt for items for my blog.
- Bluehost is an excellent hosting company for your blog that allows you to keep your blogging costs to a minimum, especially when starting out. For only $3.95 month you can have your wordpress blog up and running in no time. Their seamless integration makes setting up your blog eazy-peazy in a matter of minutes.
- If you love shopping online then you need to join Ebates so you can start earning cash back on your purchases. I don’t know why I waited so long to get on this bandwagon but lemme tell you, I don’t want you to make the same mistake – so don’t make another online purchase without signup up for Ebates. (Canadian Ebates site and American Ebates site.) It’s totally FREE and if you sign up, you will get $10 as a bonus once you place your first order for $25 or more. Isn’t that incentive enough? Yah, I thought so.